We've moved to http://www.booksellingonlineblog.com

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

As I reviewed the bottom of our referrers list today, I spent a good few hours perusing some sites, I hadn't been to in a long time. Through the tangled web that is that internet, I ended up at Alibris President Marty Manley's blog - now THERE is somewhere I haven't been in a while. The impetus for the link leading me there [via Using Books Weblog] is a series of postings entitled the IPO Diaries that recount the events surrounding Alibris' failed IPO of two years ago. I really liked these postings, but, believe it or not, that is not what caught my eye at the blog.

I immediately honed in on a blog entry from the "Top Posts" category entitled The Time is Right for E-Books. The jist of the article, if it missed you in the title comes in the last sentence: "Prediction: you and I will both use e-books within three years."

Question being: Do you want to continue to invest yourself, as a bookseller, in a company's whose leader choose not only to buy into this fallacy, but all but champion it on his blog?

I don't think it serves the best interests of all of the independent sellers who have carried Mr. Manley's company and for that I am, at the least, disappointed.
Digg